The Agricultural Law Resource and Reference Center is a collaboration between Penn State Law and the Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences. Located at both University Park and Carlisle facilities and funded in part by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, the Center is designed to provide the highest-quality educational programs, information and materials to those involved or interested in agricultural law and policy.
The Center provides:
- cutting-edge research on current and emerging issues of interest to the international agricultural business community.
- information relevant to agricultural producers, the food processing industry and government at all levels.
- a current index and bibliography of relevant professional articles and extension outreach materials on agricultural issues.
- professional-level courses focused on legal issues related to agriculture.
- information and assistance to the general public, agricultural and food industry groups, the Pennsylvania state legislature, Pennsylvania state agencies, boards and commissions.
- the highest-quality educational information and materials to help people understand complex legal issues and problems.
History of the Center
Founded in 1855 as Pennsylvania's land-grant institution, Penn State was initially a college of agriculture and was the first American college or university to award baccalaureate and graduate degrees in agriculture.
The Agricultural Law Resource & Reference Center was created following the announcement of the merger agreement between The Dickinson School of Law and The Pennsylvania State University in 1997. The institutions have long shared a common mission of providing a quality education at an affordable cost, as well as strong traditions of service to their local communities and the Commonwealth.