Even a foot of snow couldn’t keep Law School staff from moving its Carlisle operations back to its historic location on the corner of College and South streets. On Monday, December 21, after spending more than two years in transition space at 1170 Harrisburg Pike, Law School faculty and staff once again reported for work at West South Street. Classes will begin in Lewis Katz Hall on January 11, 2010.
The centerpiece of the Carlisle building project includes the addition of an elegant new Lewis Katz Hall. Renovated and rebuilt to comply with LEED standards, the facilities feature state-of-the-art classrooms, a new courtroom/auditorium, an exterior courtyard, and an environmentally friendly vegetated green roof. The unified H. Laddie Montague, Jr. Law Library is completely interconnected with the University Park campus via the most advanced high-definition, digital audiovisual telecommunications system available.
The transition marks the end of a two-year, $50 million construction project, which includes the addition of a new signature Lewis Katz Hall, named in honor of the principal donor to the project philanthropist and businessman, Lewis Katz, for his $15 million gift to the Law School. The project also includes an extensive renovation of historic Trickett Hall, the Law School’s home since 1918, which houses the Law School’s library, named in honor of H. Laddie Montague, Jr., a prominent Philadelphia lawyer and trial attorney who has committed $4 million to the school.
The Law School celebrated the start of the project with a groundbreaking ceremony on January 23, 2008. A formal dedication ceremony of Lewis Katz Hall will take place on April 16, 2010.